This is a delicate Italian risotto dish. It’s creamy, but still very light. It can be served with or without scallops. Additionally, other seafoods can be added, it is completely up to you. In my version below, I added cauliflower, but in the past I have added asparagus, broccoli, and various kinds of squash. This is an incredibly flexible dish that you can customize to make it your own.
Risotto With Scallops
Cuisine Italian Category cooking
- 3 table spoons of butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lbs Mascarpone cheese
- Three large shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 liter of chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice / carnaroli rice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional: 6 to 8 large scallops per person.
- Optional: cauliflower, one head
- Optional: squash, 2 lbs
- Optional: 4 lbs mushrooms (any kind)
- In a large deep pan, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and shallots, stir until soft.
- Add the rice, stir for 2 and 1/2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock.
- Add any of the harder veggies at this point.
- Cover with lid, simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add mushrooms or other softer veggies.
- Continue to stir until trails start to form.
- Add the cup of heavy cream at this point.
- Continue to reduce on low for 10 to 15 minutes as needed, stirring frequently.
- Turn heat off entirely.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the Mascarpone cheese.
- If at this point you have chosen to include scallops, sear in a a very hot cast iron pan for 1 minute per side, or until the scallops start hissing.
- Place scallops on top of each portion and serve immediately.